Friday, January 27, 2006

Living History...

I got an impromptu invitation last night to attend the Hillary Clinton fundraiser. I apparently missed the memo that she was coming into town. Of course I accepted this offer; I love her.

We arrive about an hour and a half before check-in. Since it was at a hotel, we wasted about an hour having a drink. Then we waited for the check-in to begin. If you've never attended a democratic party function, just imagine a group of chickens running around a chicken coup. There was absolutely no order to anything.

In an attempt to be prepared, there were 8 lists printed of the "paid" customers. Eight identical copies. There was no attempt to ever form a line. Instead, people just lined a wall in a random fashion. Somehow, showing up early, we ended up in the middle of the line They remedied this by moving part of the line behind another part, with us ending up in front. It made no sense, but we were still first.

Checking in required nothing but a name. The alphabet was not broken down into sections. Since I did not show an ID, a second (or third or seventh) person could have gone up to one of the other 7 people checking us in and pretended to be me and would have gotten in with no issue.

So we walked in, ready to sit down. Only, there were no chairs. Seriously. It was like a rock concert or something. So we stood some more.

Then Hillary was an hour late. No one apologized or anything. There was a woman who was there to introduce the representative who was there to introduce the Governor who was there to introduce Hillary. Seriously.

She gave a brief speech. I took a few (or 20) pictures. Then I waited in line as she made her way through the crowd. I was so nervous waiting for her. I had never been that nervous before. I normally don't give a shit about these things. I waited patiently with my book and was told to put away my pen. Hillary had her own.

I asked another girl to take my picture with Hillary when she arrived to sign my book. Then Hillary was right in front of me. The only words I spoke were, "Senator Clinton, I would like to take a picture with you."

I didn't shake her hand or say anything more. Had I said anything else, it would have been, "OmigodIloveyouIhaveapictureofyouandyourhusbandupinmylivingroom." Seriously. This is why I kept my mouth shut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani