Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Don't Make Me Come in There...

I flexed my female muscles today, and I'm quite proud. Yesterday, I brought my car to the dealership for its 55,000 mile inspection. After an hour (I was told the work would be done in 45 minutes), the service manager came to tell me that I needed $515 dollars worth of brake work, including replacing the rotors. I told him he could tell my dad that and proceeded to call my dad right there. The two spoke on the phone, and the service manager soon returned the phone to me. My dad decided to forgo the massive brake job and check on it himself when he got into town.

Yesterday afternoon, BF and I went to Les Schwab for a free brake inspection. BF and I walked around town a bit after dropping of the car, but very soon I received a call from a mechanic at Les Schwab who couldn't understand why I had my brakes inspected. After explaining about the dealership incident, he told me my brakes were fine, no rotor problem could have occurred yet, and it would only have cost $250 at most if there was one. I thanked him and picked up my car.

This morning I called the dealership to tell them about my Les Schwab experience and that I didn't appreciate being taken advantage of, simply because I was female. The customer service manager told me they do not recommend repairs based on sex (like they would admit to that), but on necessity (they why did everyone I tell about the incident balk at the idea of needing to replace my rotors at 55,000 miles?).

I'm proud I stood my ground. I refuse to be taken advantage of simply because I don't understand the mechanics of a car. I know I don't which is why I default to the nearest trustworthy male who can tell the mechanics to shove it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani