Sunday, June 18, 2006

@*#%!

How is it that I didn't stress over moving until I involved my parents? I figured it would be as simple as finding movers, loading up the truck, driving across country, finding a place, letting the movers know, and unloading my stuff.

Now my parents are saying, why don't you go first and then get your stuff? This is prohibitive for a few reasons:

1. Rent at my apartment is $850. Movers $2000. Paying an extra month's rent is almost as much as half the moving cost. Why would I pay September rent and pay for a mover? Getting my shit out of the apartment is best achieved as soon as possible. I get back from Europe on the 23. That gives me 8 days to pack and clean the apartment.

2. Flying to DC is expensive. It would cost over $300 to go after I got back from Europe. I can try to go over the 4th of July, but the cost would be just as much, and I would need to continue studying for the bar while on this little excursion. In addition, how many places available Sept. 1 can I find at the beginning of July?

3. Paying full service movers to get my stuff from some sort of storage here in Portland will most likely cost much more than just loading up the truck and sending it on its way. Plus, I'll have to pay for storage.

Why is it so hard for my parents to just realize that what is best for me is to move all my shit to DC as soon as possible. If the movers pick up my shit on August 31, it is highly unlikely that it will get there before September 14. It will take me about 3 or 4 days to drive to DC. Trailer trucks take much longer. The company will keep it at the terminal for 2 days free of charge. If I get to DC by September 6, then I will have 10 days to look for an apartment before I start incurring fees. If I really need, I can get a storage room for about $200 for a month. That gives me until October 16.

Why can't this be considered a good plan? Why is leaving my stuff and looking for a place a better plan?

1 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Banana said...

Your plan is DEFINITELY a better one Leila! I bet they're just scared for you to be moving away to a big city and they don't know how to deal. Its so exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani