Sunday, March 21, 2004

More Responsibilities

Last week I ran for an SBA position... technically. Actually the week before, I put my name in a folder under secretary and no one else put theirs.

Student Bar Association is the student government for the law school. Our law school is pretty small, so we have only a president, internal VP, external VP, secretary, treasurer, and a few board positions. Undergraduate had all of this for each college (like engineering, arts and science, mass communication, etc.) as well as the overall campus-wide positions. We actually ran on tickets with pushcards, slogans, uniform signs, stickers, buttons, and an occasional T-shirt. We were a school of 30,000+, though. Being that big, though, allowed for some pretty fair campaigning.

We had a commissioner of elections and obvious election codes. All the votes were tallied at the end of the day with an announcement ceremony that night. All of the results (including the number and percentage of votes) were announced and published in the paper the next morning.

Why am I telling you all this, you may ask? Because our small law school had a presidential candidate collecting votes, it took three days to count up the votes, and a measly email only announcing the names of the winners was sent out one afternoon. I'm thinking it's time for some election reform. Nothing massive on the scale of my undergraduate. I just think any candidate should not be collecting votes. Scantrons could tally the votes quickly. People should know the campaign rules before, not after, they break them. Everyone should know how close the race actually was.

I'm secretary of this whole thing. I think I might try to get this done (even though the president might not approve of it because he was the one collecting votes).

We'll just have to see how activist I'm feeling next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani