Friday, June 04, 2004

I Live on the Edge... I Go to Children's Movies at 11:30 pm

I just got back from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! I have seven things I would like to elaborate on, and none of them include specific details about the movie.

1. Everyone has grown up in the movie!
It was so interesting because I watched the first two movies yesterday and today to prep for the release of this one. Everyone is so much older now. I almost didn't recognize Neville or Seamus. Still, I thought it was great that they got to grow with their parts!

2. I picked the best way to see the movie.
I Fandango-ed my tickets, as I mentioned earlier. I went alone. I left my apartment at 11 pm. The movie started at 11:30. I went to the ticket window, picked up my ticket, and stood in the already moving line. When I got inside, which wasn't too long of a wait, I found a seat in the rear (which is where I prefer to sit) because I was by myself. People always leave a seat open, and I was able to find one right off the bat. No sitting in the front for me! The people I was sitting next to had been standing in line since 8 pm! Crazy.

3. I think this was my favorite Harry Potter movie.
No offense to Chris Columbus, who did a great job with the first two movies, but I thought this was by far the best so far. I'll leave it up to you to decide for yourself. To give Chris his props, we couldn't have had this movie if he hadn't have done such a great job on the first two.

4. Small differences between the first two and this one.
The ties for the uniform were a little different, and everyone had much different hairstyles. It was pretty weird, but I guess that fits with the growing up part of #1. Oh, and the new Dumbledore isn't a distraction at all. There were a lot more outside scenes as well.

5. Everyday clothing.
It's rather strange how much the trio were in everyday clothes, but at the same time, a lot of the story took place outside of class. That's obvious from the books, I think. I think it stems from the fact that we know what class is like and we're not so interested in that part of Harry's world anymore. Still, the everyday clothes were enough to make me take notice.

6. Things missing from the book.
There were things missing. I even heard people complaining at the end of the movie. But remember, the book is so long and the movie is only two and a half hours long. I saw an interview with J.K. Rowling and Steven Kloves (the screenwriter). J.K. admitted that she would allow certain details to not be used (because the book is chock-full of details) because they don't play a part in the large scheme. I think of the movie as a supplement to the book, only to be seen after reading the book. Bottom line: If it's in the movie, it's important. If it wasn't, it's not.

7. Dressing up to see a movie.
I was terrified I would be seeing a movie with a bunch of adults who dressed up like wizards and witches (by the way, there were no kids -- thank god). In fact, I only saw one person who had on a robe. After the movie was over, I noticed, she was wearing a green robe. That's when I realized she wasn't so much dressed up for the movie as she was for her high school graduation. I didn't hold it against her at that point because I remember how excited I was when I graduated from high school and college.

I'm terribly sorry for going on, but I saw the movie alone. I would usually discuss on end with the person I saw it with. Well, if you got this far, it's also your own fault that you kept reading. Anyway, I'm just so excited that I've seen the movie! I've been waiting forever for it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani