Thursday, June 24, 2004

I'll Take One Customer Service Rep, in English, Please

I've had enough of these customer service people who obviously are not American. I'm not talking about the Indian accent that's cluing me in.

It's the fact they can't spell OREGON! Or LOUISIANA!

I know for a fact that most American children must learn how to spell the states when they are in elementary school. (Ugh, how I hated those state/capital tests, but now I brag about how I can still name all fifty. Did it bother anyone else when their parents would make them learn how to spell Oklahoma? I mean, if they give the state or the capital, Oklahoma is in both of them, so why should I have to waste my time learning to spell it?)

When I get a customer service representative who can't spell my state, I've had enough. It's one thing to outsource American jobs. I'm angry about that. Especially cushy service rep jobs. These jobs require someone to sit down and read from a computer screen. There is very little connection to the amount of knowledge a person has in their head to actual information he gives you. These are the perfect lazy American jobs.

Instead, these nice jobs go to India because when you can pay these people less a dollar an hour to do this because the money transfers so well to Indian Rupees why would you pay minimum wage in America?

I don't know about you, but I have enough of this. I want someone who can spell the states of the United States. I want someone who can think outside the box when I ask a question that is not on the computer screen. I want Americans to have a chance to take these jobs before we decide to send them to India.

I don't know what to do though. It's not like you can boycott these products because everyone does it. Is it really in Congress' power to make a law forbidding this sort of thing?

I would definitely like to know this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani