Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Revelations of a Single Gal

I don't often think being single is depressing. There is one time, though, that I always am hit hard with the fact that I am single, and it often depresses me -- grocery shopping.

It becomes quite obvious when you look at my cart. Everything is in single servings, or at least the smallest portion they sell. My milk is a half-gallon, the meat and cheese are the lowest poundage I can find, and I pay more per ounce for the small cans of vegetables. Where it becomes glaringly obvious, though, is when you see the frozen dinners that take over my cart. Every time I go, I buy more. The fact that these are all either Healthy Choice, Weight Watchers, or Lean Cuisine tell even more. In fact, my cart is strewn with lo-fat, healthy, or some other fad word (not including low carb, I will forever stay away from that one) foods.

What depresses me though, is that it is so easy to tell that I am a single woman even if I were no where by my cart.

I think I'm tired of shopping for one. I'm not saying that I want to be married, but I would like to spruce up my cart with a few items that say, "I'm cooking for two!" Or at least reduce the amount of quick fixes that obviously say, "I spend many nights eating by myself."

I also realized recently that I haven't seen many new movies lately. I also figured out that it's because I'm single. When dating or in a relationship, the movie becomes the basic what-you-do-together. I'm not saying I won't go to movies by myself, but I don't even think to go to movies. I have many fine second-run theaters right around my house, but I don't even go to them.

And tonight, as I watched my favorite new addiction, aka television show, Lost, I cried aloud that it couldn't be the end of the season already. The sound of my voice hung in the room for a while. It's bad when the sound of your own voice startles you. After the show was over, I had no one to talk about it with.

I want something.

I don't just want just anyone, though. Why can't I find what I'm looking for, even if it's only a good date every now and then?

And one final thought: Why is it that some girls can get another guy almost immediately after breaking up with a boyfriend, while others of us can barely find a date every six to eight months?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani