Friday, July 23, 2004

Kerry Explanation

I think I need to explain my sudden volunteerism in the Kerry campaign.

I do not like the man.  He is not the person I would choose for my president, but the sad fact of the matter is, I'd rather him than Bush.

I hate advocating the lesser of two evils.  I'd rather vote for Nader because I feel he's closer to my beliefs than either of the two major party candidates.

But... the republicans.  *Sigh*  They are actually part of an organized party.  I am a Democrat.  I am not part.  Why can republicans stand behind one candidate while Dems constantly have internal bickering for all the world to see? 

I've always thought that Dems need to take a few pages from the republican book.  That means I have to practice what I preach.  Even though I do not want Kerry as the Democratic Party Nominee, I must accept it and support him.

What's very hard about this position though, is I don't feel that people are "wasting" a vote when they vote for a third party candidate.  I think the beauty of the American process is that you can cast a vote for someone who represents your ideals.  I'm the ultimate in pro-choice.  Your life, your choices.  Even in an election year.

I don't know how to reconcile these two ideas, but for now, I hate Bush enough to support Kerry.  And while I respect your ultimate decision, please consider the same (if you live in a swing state, otherwise just vote for your man).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani