Monday, August 09, 2004

Long Time Gone

I went home to Louisiana (as many other people have been or will be doing). I woke up at 5:45 am to get the 7 am flight... Central time. I got to PDX at noon. I was at work by 2. It's hot and I have no air conditioning. Plus, there are workers who are actually on my patio with scaffolding banging on my walls. Work is air conditioned and quiet.

Aside: I just ordered a Thai appetizer. It comes with 5 different types of fried goodies. I hope it's enough to feed me. I'm pretty hungry. I'm trying to order sensibly, though...

Ok, so obviously I'm back now because there would be no Thai appetizers in LA. I had an overall good time. At first it was shitty, shitty, shitty because of family drama, but after that all went away, a good time was had by all.

I spent a large portion of my time watching Six Feet Under: The Complete First Season with my mom and my brother. I really enjoyed the show. There were a few uncomfortable moments, especially with all the sex (straight and gay). There are some things that just aren't normal to share with your mom and younger brother, but we all got through it. It's a really interesting show and I wish I wasn't 530th in line for the 2nd season. My mom has Netflix, so she already has the first disc of the second season at her house.

My mom and I didn't shop much this time. I did get new sheets, which I have included pictures of at the end of this post. Other than that, I got a dress shirt, a sleep shirt, and a skirt. Not too much, but I really didn't have the room.

I did go to the mall a bit, but there really wasn't much. Since I hit the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale before I went home, I didn't have a burning desire to buy much more. Especially because LA isn't the center of fashion. On a good day, I can get a hold of a few classic pieces that I can meld into my wardrobe, but for the most part, trends take about 2 years to reach LA, sometimes longer (like Nalgene bottles with bumper stickers to personalize).

I like being home with my family, but I'm not so much a fan of my home town. It's dying a slow and horrible death. Nothing is new in it and everything that is old looks and smells it. A Subway is coming, but I predict 2 months before closing. There are three chain fast food restaurants: McDonald's, Pop-eye's, and Sonic. I only go to Sonic because there aren't any around here. The other two I can do without. There is one local fast food restaurant, but it has really weird hours, like 10-1 and 3-6 every day except Thursday where they only open from 1-3. Or something like that.

All the nice sit down restaurants close within months, except the old staple that has been around for decades, but the service staff argues with you about why they're right to not sit you until after they let everyone pays, even the people who showed up to pay after you have been waiting to be seated. It's an awful situation.

Breaux Bridge, on the other hand, has a bit more vitality because the interstate runs right through it. All it is though is an interstate town. ALL the restaurants are chains and the landscape is littered with gas stations and truck stops. There is the occasional tin building filled with video poker, but there isn't more than that.

My family also spent a good bit of time at our camp. In other words, I have red splotches all over my legs where the mosquitoes bit me. One even bit me on my chin.

I'm hungry, and I'm sure my Thai is read now. I'm going to go because I've just been complaining for the last 20 paragraphs. I'll get my food and watch a violent movie. Sounds like a good end to a long day.


Stripes without the comforter!


Stripes under cover. (Ooh, is that a good name for my girl band?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani