Sunday, May 29, 2005

Democracy in Action

Yesterday, I attended my junior senator's "town hall" meeting. After receiving an email in my personal account, a letter to my parent's address, and a phone message left on my parent's answering machine, I figured this guy really must want me there. I decided to get up early on a Saturday (8 am, FYI) to join the other constituents in my parish. What I forgot to mention, though, is I'm a very liberal democrat in the very conservative south. My junior senator just beat out a democrat for a seat previously held by a democrat. There isn't much love for me in these parts.

The meeting started with a prayer and the pledge. Opposed to being forced to join in on prayer, my brother, my friend Baton Rouge, and I sat while the prayer was read. We then stood for the pledge of allegiance.

My junior senator began with a few points of what he's done and believes. He managed to leave out he's a big pro-lifer and anti-pregnancy preventer, but I won't hold it against him. He probably figured that everyone in the room already knew and agreed with him. He did insist that all judges should receive a "fair up or down vote." I hate this phrase. Why don't they just say, "Let's kill the filibuster!" He did received a large round of applause when he spouted this ideology.

Toward the end of the meeting, I held my hand firmly in the air. I was sitting in the front on a side he wasn't particularly focusing on. Mostly people had been giving him compliments and asking questions that fit right into his ideology. He was even able to brag about a few bills he had sponsored. I wasn't so flattering. I quickly pointed out that our founders worried about factions and the voice of the minority shouldn't be silenced by the voice of the majority. (At this point I got a few shaking of heads and a word yelled at me here and there.) I even pointed out that the only time the democrats use the filibuster is for judges that often times people in their own party think are radical. At this point the yelling and booing became so loud from the crowd that it was actually difficult for me to be heard. I pointed out to the crowd that what they were doing was silencing a minority and proving my point exactly. Eventually the mayor had to stand up to try and quiet the crowd. They talked and booed even over him. Eventually he quieted the crowd down and informed them that I had the right to speak and that it was important to hear other sides of an issue. I finished my thoughts on the subject and wrapped-up my comments with a completed unrelated question on graduate education.

My junior senator then spouted off what sounded to be the republican blanket answer to the filibuster debate and thoughtfully answered my question on graduate education. I sat down and listed a bit more to people who were concerned about closing our borders. My response to that will be held for another day.

After the meeting was over, the mayor walked us out. He told me not to be discouraged by the crowd. "You're a youthful sinner and they are senile saints. They forget what it's like to be a youthful sinner."

I wasn't fazed though. In fact, it made my day. I love participating in democracy. Being booed at just made it that much more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani