Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Lawrence of Arabia - Day 3: A Brush with the Law

Since my first final is today (roughly about 2 hours from now), I decided I should not take a movie of such epic proportions all at once. I have broken up Lawrence of Arabia into hour-long increments. Last night, I embarked upon the third day. Tonight, I might just finish.

I'll post more on the movie after I finish watching it.

Last night I was pulled over by a cop. I saw the light turn yellow, but I didn't think I could stop without slamming on my brakes. Instead, I saw the light turn red as I drove under it. WARNING: Flashback approaching!

*Fuzzy Screen and Wonkey Music*
Today was the first day I got to drive with my learner's permit. It's scary being 15 behind the wheel of a car. My dad decided to accompany me today. As we were driving to St. Martinville, we approached a busy intersection. I saw the light turn yellow, and started to apply the brakes. My dad insisted, though, that I continue through the light. I saw turn red as I drove underneath. Soon, there was a cop car with its lights on behind me. I pulled over. My dad tried to claim liability, but the cop would hear nothing of it. I was the one who ran the red light. The cop explained the dangers of the intersection and why I should be careful after he learned it was my first day in the driver's seat. He let me go with that warning.
*Fuzzy Screen, return to normal sounds*

To this day, I have been incredibly nervous anytime I see a light turn yellow. I gave the cop all the courtesy I could muster last night. I apologized profusely and even told him the story of my dad and the yellow light which have scarred me for life. He took my license, registration, and insurance to his car and had it all checked out. He came back with it all, a lecture on Oregon laws, and a warning to be more careful. Escaping only the second ticket in my life, I left the side of the road relieved, and really glad I was brought up with Southern courtesy and charm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani