Thursday, August 19, 2004

The Village

Please read no further if you have not seen the movie. I will not be accused of ruining things for anyone.

I have questions now that I have seen the movie. First of all, why didn't they bring more medicine with them? I would think that if you're going to seclude yourself in the woods, even if you were pretending you were living in the 1890s, you would still take some nice, helpful medicine with you. Not just some. A LOT.

Anyway, the big questions I have are: 1. How fair was it to do that to those kids? They will never know all the nice things like Europe and all that. It's one thing for the parents to leave the modern world for a safer life, but the kids never had a choice. I don't think that's very fair.

Second, would you be willing to do that (and if so, how far back would you go)? I don't think I'd be willing to go back that far and pretend the last 100 years didn't occur. I like computers and technology. It's obvious from the need I have to post most of my thoughts online. I also don't think the 1890s were that much better. There might be less obsession with owning things, but all in all, I think the 20s were pretty nice. What's wrong with only going back 90 years?

And I guess I should have seen it coming that it wasn't really 1897 because women had a good bit of power... I don't think there were any places then that gave women that much power to be one of the governing people of the town. Just a thought.

All in all, the reason I liked the movie as much as I did was because I liked the way the story of Lucius and Ivy was told. First with nonverbal communication then culminating with the words that confirm all their actions. It's been a while since I really liked a love story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani