Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Fon-don't

Tonight, to celebrate the completion of finals, we went to the new hip restaurant, Urban Fondue. Although I had finished last night, a few others had to wait until today. I had my own mini celebration of my demi-completion of law school. I had a demi-bottle of champagne and a demi-box of chocolates. Tonight, I had a full on meal celebration.

I should have known it was going to be bad when I couldn't understand the menu. I won't try to explain it because it still won't make any sense. After waiting for our waiter to return (which apparently was the theme that night), we were able to get him to explain the whole idea. I knew something was up when he kept referring to choice of entree as "choice of protein."

We decided to start with some cheese fondue. I had had some homemade fondue before, and this was similar. I really enjoyed the bread and cheese. The fruit and cheese was also pleasing. Then again, I'm a big cheese fan.

Then the "protein" course arrived. We basically had to boil some chicken in a pot that was being heated by a small flame. I was a little wary. I tried it out. The catch was I couldn't tell if it was cooked or not. It didn't help that it was so dark in there that I really had trouble discerning the color of my food. I am afraid of raw chicken. I don't want food poisoning.

I tried to be adventurous, though. And I didn't want to make too much fun of it because it wasn't my suggestion, and I didn't want to insult anyone. After I starting chewing raw chicken, though, I had enough. I immediately spit it out and no longer could think of eating anymore. I tried to get my fill of the chocolate fondue we got for dessert.

In the end, the waiter over-charged us. We were charged for alcohol we didn't even order. Our comp-ed dessert was listed -- twice. It was all taken care of, but not a great end to the night. I might go back for the cheese and chocolate fondue, but I will stay away from the boiled "protein."

As half the party walked back to go home, we passed a bar. I suggested we go and get something to eat. (Despite our $200 meal for six people, I was still quite hungry, as were my present company.) It turned out to be happy hour. We each got a cheeseburger and fries. Our total bill (including a couple of beers) was $20. We left the well-lit restaurant with well-cooked food with full bellies.

It struck me on my way home that it was quite funny that I had to stop and eat supper right after I just finished eating supper. I think I learned my lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani