Tuesday, September 23, 2003

What 100 Cats Will Bring

I have been thinking lately about the people who came to school with boyfriends or girlfriends and now live with them. I'm not thinking about the married ones because it doesn't fit what I'm thinking about.

I realized today that those people who live together have a great deal. They get to live with someone, most of the time in a one-bedroom, and split the rent. I know married couples live together, but often they purchase said living domain, or they don't have to think about halves of rent because they are essentially one.

Live-ins, as I shall now refer to them, are two separate people who bring in two separate incomes. One is in law school, the other is working. If they were married, I'm sure they would count both incomes together, and the spouse not in school spends a good deal of time and money supporting the one who is. The live-ins each pay their half of the rent, groceries, and utilities. I live with a roommate. Even though we don't share a room, it cuts down on the price significantly. Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to actually live on my own because I'm liking the cable, phone, and really fast internet. All this is more feasible with two checkbooks. All I'll have are cats who don't split the rent or utilities, but expect me to pick up the tab on their food. They'll descend upon my place like locus.

As RM and I were driving home today, we got on the subject of live-ins. She expressed how she thinks she'll eventually live with her boyfriend. I wanted to jump in and say, "Me, too!" But then I remembered there were no humans in my future. I was quite sad.

I always expected to have a live-in at some point. Well, I expected to get married at some point, too. Since most marriages end in divorce anyway, I could get over that easily. I'll be stuck with my cats for life. Have you ever heard of a woman divorcing her cats? I rest my case.

The idea of a live-in is quite nice. Less committal, more lovin'. Not the physical, getting-it-on-all-night kind. I'm talking about getting home, knowing someone's there that you can't wait to spend time with, and he's waiting to spend his time with you as well.

I won't have that though. I will have felines who will give me no affection. With that many cats, you often end up with many of them being wild. In the end I'll be stuck with mooching, undomesticated, unaffectionate, inappreciative animals. Well, I guess that could be like living with a guy.

Except, I'll have to invest in a lot of flea medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © 2003-2005 Leila Borazjani